MsRomanticReads

Club Wonderland

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books »

A Gift From Fate

A Gift From Fate - Layna Pimentel
The blurb sums up this short story nicely, so I will skip a summary and get to the review. I enjoyed Ms Pimentel’s debut novella, and it was a first by this new to me author.

Pros: Love the meddling Olympians. True to form they annoy each other and toy with the lives of humans, or in this case, Brent’s.

Cons: 1) Brent believed her story a little too readily. 2) Since Brent’s initial reaction was how young she appeared to be, and proceeded to make small talk while Mel was the one who got sent to him in the first place, I thought it was a little awkward that he made the first move. I would have found the scene more believable had she jumped him first :)

Mel was a sweet and likeable heroine. She wanted to find love and have that bond with another being, even going as far as to risk the wrath from Zeus himself if she were to be caught. She had a backbone and actually used it, so she gets extra points from me for not being a one of those simpering females with little substance. I thought she shone throughout the entire story with her determination.

I really liked the two of them together and their chemistry. I thought he appeared a little weak near the end, apparently not really trusting her enough to find a way back. However, after everything he’d been through in life, I was happy that he got his HEA. I liked this author’s voice, so I would definitely give some of her other stories a try. If you love romances involving Greek gods, I think you’ll enjoy this one.

Rating: 3.5 rounded up to 4

Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the author for the purpose of an honest review.