MsRomanticReads

Tease Me
Club Wonderland

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books ยป
The Millionaire Gambler (Ashley's Choice, #1) - Laura Charles
When I came across this book, the blurb intrigued me enough to purchase it. The summary speaks for itself, so I'll just get right to it.

In my humble opinion, I would strongly encourage the author to find an editor, or at the very least a proofreader or a beta. Someone to bounce the draft off of. The story was promising, but unfortunately two key points took this down a few notches.

1) Repetition. I kept have to pause because I had deja vu over the words gorgeous, handsome, good looking and beautiful. I suspect the author was either unaware of it, or she was trying to emphasize her point. But I got it the first time, I really did. Another thing that was repeated one time too many was her low self esteem issue "why would he want to be with someone like me" and "someone like you can have any woman you want". Yes, she was guarding her heart, I got that. I just didn't feel very sympathetic towards her because she lacked anything positive.

2) Lack of character development. Even if this is a short story that will be continued in a second book, there has to be something that makes me (want to) root for them.Jason is taken with her for some reason, but we never find out what exactly draws her to him. All he says is that she's beautiful, and he wants to get to know her better. I'm sorry, but for what transpires next in the story, it just doesn't make sense.

3) Ending a novelette on a cliffhanger. I will not be reading the second book to find out what happens because I just didn't connect with Ashley and Jason enough to care what happens to them next.

Overall, I think the plot could down a very interesting path, but I do feel that the author needs to fix some grammar mistakes and polish up the story a little bit, even if that means adding a few more pages. The sex scenes were sizzling, and she writes those quite well. I'd say borrow the book, or read an excerpt first.