MsRomanticReads

Club Wonderland

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books ยป

Review: Cold Day in Hell (Lost and Found Inc. #2) by Jerrie Alexander

Book Description:

Ex-Army Ranger Tyrell Castillo’s first mission for Lost and Found, Inc. goes awry when his contact is kidnapped, and he’s left scrambling for weapons and explosives. He’ll have to blow up a drug cartel’s compound, rescue the woman, and keep her safe while they cross the sweltering hot Colombian jungle.

Driven by the need for revenge, Ana Maria Vega Cisneros doesn’t want to be rescued. She wants revenge. She’ll risk her life to ensure the drug lord who killed her family suffers the same fate.

The cartel leaves a trail of blood on their hunt for Ty and Ana. When Ty receives the order to kill the drug lord with extreme prejudice, he and Ana will face the enemy head on. Can Ty protect the woman who’s hell bent on vengeance? The woman he’s grown to love?

I love Ms Alexander’s books, especially her writing style. She really knows how to sell a plot with great characters, good research and descriptive scenarios. Another trademark of hers is always to include the POV of the villain(s) which lends a rather creepy and uncomfortable aspect to the story. The reader becomes privy to the thoughts of a twisted mind. Cold Day in Hell was a departure from any of her previous books. The majority of this story takes place in Colombia where the jungle is thick and danger lurks from above and below, and ruthless members of a drug cartel are never far behind the hero and heroine.

This plot wasn’t a new one, but it felt new to me through the words of the author. I instantly liked the main characters, Ty and Ana. Not only were both of them bad-a**es, but their often sarcastic power-play with words made them a perfect match for one another. Her allure was not only that she could easily watch his six, but she was also a tough character under the most stressful situations. But these two were far from being perfect warriors. They were not only following their own agendas, but they also had scars that ran deep – Ana is out for revenge to fulfill a promise, and Ty still feels guilty over the death of his sister.

I totally bought the chemistry between Ana and Ty. Their awareness of one another simmered from their first meeting, but I’m really glad the author did not have them act upon it while on the run through the jungle. I never quite buy into such scenarios of hot, sweaty, smelly sex when they could get shot at any moment. These two were given ample opportunity to just be around one another, learn about each other, and develop together. When they finally did come together, the sex was very steamy. Aside from the mounting sexual tension, I really enjoyed the amount of action in this story. I’d say both were evenly distributed or evenly present in this story. Danger both on and off home turf, seemingly insurmountable obstacles in the form of conflicting interests and the usual nasty villains made Cold Day in Hell a thrilling, sweaty read from start to finish. It can be read as a stand alone and there is no cliffhanger ending.

Favorite Lines:

“What happened in your past that makes you risk your life for strangers?”

“Getting a little nosy, aren’t you?”

“What else are we supposed to do except talk and watch for snakes?”

“My first idea would get my face slapped, so I’ll go with my second.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Ana,” he whispered into her hair, his warm breath slicing her wide open, strong hands splayed across her midriff. “I’ll never forget the warrior I found locked in that room or the passionate woman I held in my arms. Promise you’ll remember me, even if it’s only when you see a giant spider.”

Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the publisher for the purpose of an honest review.