MsRomanticReads

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books ยป

Review: Wicked Waves (Solsti Prophecy #2) by Sharon Kay

Wicked Waves - Sharon Kay Wicked Wind  - Sharon Kay

Book Description:

Making daggers out of raindrops is only the tip of the iceberg for Brooke Bonham. As one of four women who can control the elements, her ability to manipulate water packs a deluge of potential. Eager to learn more, she’s frustrated at the precautions she must take to avoid the wrong kind of attention on Earth.

Kai’s duties as a Lash demon have kept him busy on Earth for nearly two hundred years. Fighting? He was born to do it. Females? They’re drawn to him. And Earth? The perfect place for him to avoid supernatural bounty hunters.

Though the two of them mix like oil and water, Kai senses that beneath Brooke’s frosty exterior hides a vortex of simmering passion. He’s determined to thaw his ice princess.

Forced to work together in the immortal realm, they track a rogue Lash demon at the helm of a widespread kidnapping operation. All too soon, Kai’s dark past catches up to them. Time runs out as a second enemy, bent on revenge, vows to stop at nothing short of Brooke’s enslavement and Kai’s death. As they and their foes stalk each other in a demonic game of cat-and-mouse, will her evolving skills and their fledgling bond be enough to save them?

The blurb sums up the story perfectly, so I’ll dive right in to my review. Ugh. This series rocks my world! I was already ensnared when I read the first book. The world building is just that good. This series feels fresh, and while it has many scorching hot scenes between the various heroes and heroines, there are enough action scenes with somewhat gruesome battles to balance things out. I would recommend reading the books in order mainly to get a good grasp of the world and all the characters that (re)appear throughout.

Nicole and Kai were introduced in the first book, and let’s just say they didn’t get off to a good start. Despite the fact that Brooke’s sister, Nicole, had mated Gunnar didn’t mean they’d all become one happy family. Kai was about to learn that there was one female who could resist him, and he’d have some groveling to do if she didn’t skewer him with ice daggers first.

I adored these characters both individually and as a couple. Brooke was a sassy, independent female sans flair for theatrics. I can’t stress enough how much I love heroines who don’t come with the (almost standard) flaw of being afraid of falling in love and getting hurt. Her dislike of Kai in the beginning wasn’t her being a b*tch but rather she wanted to be treated with a little respect and not like a piece of meat. Understandable. Another great trait that earned her brownie points with me was that she never claimed she could handle the dangers by herself. She knew she needed help so she diligently practiced with her abilities and continued with her fight training without complaint. I loathe heroines who throw caution to the wind because they mistake genuine concern from their alpha male for high-handedness.

Kai. I knew I was going to love him from the moment he put his foot in his mouth at the end of book one, and again when he realized that he was inexplicably drawn to the woman who kept ignoring or scowling at him. He was protective but not overbearing, and I loved that he encouraged and praised her whenever they found themselves fighting for their lives or when she dug deep to increase the strength of her abilities. He may have been a centuries old demon and she a nearly three decades old human, but they treated each other like equals and partners.

The main action of the story is tied to Kai’s brutal past. When his past and present collide with Brooke caught in the middle, I loved how well she handled herself and the way it brought them closer together. The love scenes were scorching hot, as usual. The story flowed nicely from start to finish that I finished this book rather quickly. There wasn’t a moment where the story felt stunted or boring, therefore I never wanted to put the book down. The best thing about the series is that each book doesn’t end on a dreaded cliffhanger. Each couple deals with a villain, and there’s a set-up for the next couple and the enemy.

On that note, I strongly encourage any PNR lovers to give this series a try. If you’re a fan of Larissa Ione or Felicity Heaton, I think you’ll really enjoy it. If you give one new series or an indie author a try this year, do it here and now. I will be purchasing print copies for myself in the near future.

Book One is currently on sale for only 99 cents until February 9th, 2014.

Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the author for the purpose of an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor.

Source: http://msromanticreads.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/review-wicked-waves-solsti-prophecy-2-by-sharon-kay