MsRomanticReads

Tease Me
Club Wonderland

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books ยป

ARC Review: Sweet Revenge (Sin Brothers #2) by Rebecca Zanetti

Sweet Revenge - Rebecca Zanetti Forgotten Sins (Sins Brothers, #1) - Rebecca Zanetti

Sweet Revenge (Sin Brothers #2)
by Rebecca Zanetti

The One Man She Can't Have

Matt Dean was born to fight…and kill. A member of a secret black-ops military unit, he and his brothers were genetically engineered by the government to be the perfect soldiers with an expiration date. Now, with time running out, he's gone rogue in a relentless quest for the one person who can save them. His mission leads him to Charmed, Idaho…and to a beautiful woman with eyes like emeralds and a body made for pleasure.

The One Woman He Can't Resist

Laney Jacobs knows the mysterious, handsome stranger is trouble from the moment he walks into her bar, looking for a job. She's spent years running from her own past—the last thing she needs is a romantic entanglement. But Matt's strong arms offer her protection, and his gentle touch promises passion unlike anything she's ever known. As lethal forces surround them, revealing explosive secrets about Matt's past and putting everything—and everyone—he holds dear in danger, can he save them all before time runs out?

Shane, Matt and Nate are back, and the clock is still ticking. The chips embedded in their spines will detonate in six weeks if they can't disable or remove them, and Matt is hot on the heels of the surgeon he believes implanted them. The trail has led him to the quiet town of Charmed, and the lovely bar owner definitely has him charmed. Falling for his boss who has secrets of her own puts him off his game, until her life is threatened and his protective instincts take over. But will he still feel protective and smitten once he discovers what she's been hiding?

I loved Matt and Laney and their somewhat bumpy road down romance lane. I definitely enjoyed their story more than Shane and Josie's. Even though Laney knew that her mysterious and handsome employee and temporary tenant could wreck havoc on her life and heart, she couldn't resist him. Not that she really tried which made their interaction very sexy and endearing. I sympathized with her and her desire to be wanted and loved. To connect with someone who liked her and wanted to protect her. Aside from being sweet and compassionate, she was also independent and (hallelujah!) not a drama queen. I thoroughly enjoyed the absence of self pity or a low self esteem. She accepted the consequences of getting involved with Matt without feelings of inadequacy or fearing rejection, and she didn't run from her evolving feelings. I do like when characters are mature enough to lay the cards on the table and see where the chips fall.

Matt was so sexy, with his slightly dominant nature, his devotion to his brothers and sister-in-law, but also caring about people in general. In case you haven't read the first book, Matt and his brothers were genetically engineered and raised by the whack jobs who created them. Trained in all forms of combat since childhood, these (now) men have gone through hell until their escape a few years prior. They're not emotionally stunted or incapable of love. In fact they have an abundance of it, for each other. When they fall, they fall hard and fast. The women who manage to capture their hearts make them whole and give them even more of a reason to fight and to live. I kind of love the thread that runs through this story of finding love and committing to another person even though they may not have much longer to live. It's just one of those things, like, “Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.” (From Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam:27, 1850)

The story had a great pacing and a nice balance of romance versus action. And there is no shortage of action. The love scenes were all sizzling hot (fans self). I also like the few flashbacks to the times the boys were in captivity training. If you're new to the series, I think the flashbacks will help you understand the heroes without having read the first book. The writing is really good and all the characters are fleshed out, even down to the villains. They were so depraved, I wanted to rip them out of the pages and stuff them in the garbage disposal. I'm not sure why Laney bothered to learn a little self defense from Matt since the three times she was attacked, she ended up not being able to defend herself. But that's just a very minor complaint or observation. This series continues to grow on me, and the teaser for Nate's story at the end already has me salivating for more.

The Bottom Line

Pick up this action-packed book and fall in love with the heroes as they wage war with a ruthless enemy in an attempt to save their lives, find their presumably dead baby brother and keep their promises of a HEA with the women they love.

Favorite Lines/Moments:

Surprising anger shot through him. “You want to threaten me? That's fine. Challenge me? No problem.” He stepped even closer and into her space. “But don't you ever lie to me. Ever, Laney.”

~*~

Her fingers dug into his ribs, and her breath brushed his skin. “Those abs should be on television. Or billboards. Or me.” Her teeth snapped closed on his flesh.

Good God. The woman had bitten him. He jumped back, sending them both sprawling into the shrubs.

~*~

“Did you get attacked by a tree?”

No. A horny, drunk accountant.

~*~

“If I were ever to beg, you'd be worth it.” Calloused hands caressed her breasts. “But I think you're a woman who needs to be taken...and hard.”

~*~

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor.

Source: http://msromanticreads.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/arc-review-sweet-revenge-sin-brothers-2-by-rebecca-zanetti