MsRomanticReads

| Amazon | ARe | B&N | iBookstore | Google Play | Kobo |

Synopsis

Subject: Navy SEAL Petty Officer Brody Lane

Current Status: On leave

Obstacle: The one girl who was off-limits…

Where navy SEAL "Bad Ass" Brody Lane goes, trouble follows. Being run out of his hometown years ago for misbehaving with Genna Reilly—the sheriff's daughter—was one thing. Now Brody is about to step into real danger. Not the suggestive letters he's been exchanging with Genna, but the kind of trouble that can send a soldier home injured and broken inside… Genna's entire life has been orchestrated by her family. The right job. The right friends. Enough! Brody's return offers the promise of lust-filled pleasures. Of flesh teased and tasted. She's not expecting to find a soldier with distant eyes who has secluded himself from the world. But this good girl knows exactly how to bring a bad boy back to life….

Uniformly Hot! The Few. The Proud. The Sexy as Hell.

| Goodreads |

My Review

Seventeen year old Genna had a raging crush on her brother's friend, bad boy Brody Lane. On a dare, she intended to seduce Brody and get a kiss for her efforts. She got more than she bargained for, but the moment was swiftly ruined when her father, the sheriff of Bedford, caught them together. By the time she'd completed her time on house arrest, Brody had left town and joined the Navy. Fast forward ten years later, Genna hasn't had any luck in her dating life, her brother died, her parents still had her under their thumbs and she never forgot about the one that got away.

Brody made something of himself by joining the Navy and becoming a SEAL. Then, out of the blue, he received a letter from Genna telling him about her brother's passing. Genna was not only shocked to have received a reply, but more so by the content of Brody's letter. The story started of sweetly with the sheriff's daughter and the small town's bad boy making a connection only to be torn apart by an irate and over-protective father. With that lead in to the story, I was supposed to believe that her first kiss and rounding second base with Brody had left such an impact on her that she hadn't forgotten it in ten years. The boyfriends or dates that had come after could never compare to those few minutes of bliss. Anything is possible, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

I had a bit of difficulty getting into this story because of the cliched small town mentality which was laid on very thick throughout the story. Usually I enjoy small town romances because of the sense of community and the humor that can ensue from meddling residents, but Bedford was far from idyllic. Even after ten years, the town hadn't given up on stigmas or gossip. After everything Brody had done, the sheriff was still a thorn in his side, Genna's best friend was quick to put Brody down as the loser bad-boy, and the mayor who was salivating at the mouth to have a huge parade and press coverage for the hometown hero were the icing on the cake. Then there was Genna, the girl who tried so hard to be perfect for her parents to ease the pain and guilt over her brother's shortcomings, which had eventually killed him, that she allowed herself to be manipulated every which way and have her life dictated to her.

As a couple, their first reunion got off to a rocky start which he tried to smooth over by suggesting they become friends and get to know one another. From there, it was thanks to him that Genna realized she needed to stand up for herself and make changes if she ever wanted to be happy. I had to wonder if she would have continued to bemoan the trajectory her life and done something about it had Brody not returned to shake things up. She did redeem herself towards the end which showed she'd finally done some growing up, and it was finally her turn to save Brody from himself.

For me, it was an okay story. The simple plot line and rather bland characters don't make this a memorable story, but if you love military romances with friends to lovers and second chances tropes, then you'll probably like this.

♥ ♥ ♥

Disclaimer: Complimentary copy provided by publisher for an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor.

Buy Links are simply informative in nature. I am in no way affiliated with mentioned book sellers, nor am I under any type of affiliate program with said book sellers. Reviewed books were purchased by me unless otherwise noted. Any type of ad that appears anywhere on my blog are NOT sponsored. I do not receive monetary compensation. Giveaway prizes are provided by the author or publisher unless otherwise noted.

† Lendable books via Amazon - Leave a comment below w/ email address if you want to borrow it.

Find MsRomanticReads online