MsRomanticReads

Currently Reviewing

Tease Me
Club Wonderland

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books ยป

New Release + Review: No Chance in Hell by Jerrie Alexander (Excerpt + #Giveaway)

Hell or High Water - Jerrie Alexander Cold Day In Hell (Lost and Found, Inc.) - Jerrie Alexander

No Chance in Hell

Heat Level: Somewhere between Sensual and Scorching

Source: ARC from author

| Amazon | B&N | Google Play | Kobo | Coming soon to iTunes |

Blurb

After a drunk driver killed Marcus Ricci’s wife while he was deployed in Afghanistan, he closed up emotionally. Working at Lost and Found, Inc., he lands a puzzling case with too many missing pieces. A killer is closing in on the woman Marcus is supposed to protect. Guarding the beautiful Chris is his job—and he’s one of the best—but keeping her close without letting her inside, makes it hard to protect his heart.

A murderer took the only family Chris Holland had left. When her sister’s killer comes after Chris, she turns to the Lost and Found agency for help. As she and Marcus Ricci dig into her background, they’ll discover surprises that shake everything she believes to be true about her past.

Forced together day and night, passion ignites, and Chris falls for Marcus. He’s a loner and not interested in a permanent relationship. When her case is over, he’ll go back to his solitary life. Just a man and his dog.

| Goodreads |

Excerpt

"If you need help, you're at the right place."

She jammed her hand inside her purse, locked her fingers around the butt of her Glock, and whirled toward the male voice. A mountain of a man smiled down at her.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you."

He stood too close, so Chris stepped backward. Something moved at her feet, and her gaze honed in on the dog looking up at her.

"Are you okay?" The tall stranger moved closer, reaching out as if to touch her arm.

"I'm fine."

He dropped his hand, and she breathed a little easier. The beautiful dog lay down at her feet.

The man motioned with his hand. The dog immediately moved and stood at his master's side. "Good dog."

"Does he bite?" She kept a close eye on the animal.

"Not unless told to. Offer him the back of your hand and let him get your scent." The man leaned down and scratched the dog's ears. "Go ahead."

Chris cautiously did as he suggested. The dog sniffed briefly and then rewarded her gesture with a lick. Her heart melted a little. "Aren't you handsome?" She sank her fingers into the brown and white scruff around his neck. "What's his name?"

"Diablo. And you are?"

"Not sure I should go in." Chris still had second thoughts about bringing strangers into her problem. She hoped Dalton was right about this organization.

"Well, Not Sure, you won't know unless you go inside."

Tall, tan, and broad-shouldered, he reached around her and pushed the door open. His muscles flexed, stretching his white shirt sleeve to the max. Cool air caressed her face. His scent, clean and masculine, filled her senses.

"Coming?" he asked. A smile lifted the corners of his mouth. Head and shoulders taller than Chris, he looked down at her with warm brown eyes. A lock of chestnut-colored hair fell onto his forehead, and he raked it back with a large hand.

"You work here?" She hoped his answer would be yes. His eyes projected a quiet confidence, and the way he carried himself left no doubt that he feared no man.

"Yes, ma'am."

There was only one way to find out if Dalton had been right about Lost and Found, Inc. "Then let's do this," she said.

My Review

Read: April 17-17

Two years ago Chris Holland's sister, Chelsea, was murdered. Chris fought with the murderer but escaped. Two years later, she still has nightmares. Chris stayed on the move, but he found her time and time again. But now he's gotten closer—inside her home, and he had a message. He would kill her when the time was right. He's letting her live for now, but warns her that if she makes friends, they will die. Unable to handle the situation on her own anymore, she decides to hire help upon a friend's recommendation. Lost and Found Inc. is her last hope.

Chris and Marcus are definitely my next favorite couple in this series, after Ty and Ana. I really enjoyed the maturity of these two characters and their interaction with one another. Chris wasn't a damsel in distress per se, but neither was she one of those heroines who insists being able of taking care of herself while running headlong into danger. They came across as equals which was very pleasing to read. In fact, the growing relationship was handled very well. It had sexual tension without angst or annoying push and pulls. They were pretty straight forward with their wants and expectations, but they didn't put up a fight as their feelings began to evolve.

The most thrilling part of any Jerrie Alexander book, for me, is the villain's POV. Out of all of her villains, this one made me squirm the most. The descriptions of his deeds were quite graphic and chilling. I've said it almost every time I've reviewed a Jerrie Alexander novel, if you can stomach some current TV shows featuring serial killers, then you can handle this.

The story was pretty even in terms of being both character and plot driven. I tried to pick up hints along the way about the who and the why of it all, but I didn't figure it out until the signs became more obvious. I love a story that doesn't give it all away up front. The climax was thrilling, and call me crazy, but I do like the heroine getting a bit roughed up. It just lends more desperation, rage and hope to the entire scenario without crossing a fine line.

The Bottom Line

I highly recommend this series. It features hunky alpha males who share an unbreakable bond forged back in their college years. The former military heroes put their resources and skills to good use, helping those who have run out of other options. They all have their flaws, but so far they all seem to embrace the prospect of finding and holding on to love when they find it. The locations and plots are always different, which keeps this series fresh and interesting. It's well-written, sexy and a great way to spend the day—with a thrill and a chill.

PS: The books can be read as standalones, but it is better to read them in order to avoid relationship spoilers. Each book has a HEA and no cliffhangers!

♥ ♥ ♥

Read my review of Hell or High Water (Book One)

Read my review of Cold Day in Hell (Book Two)

About the Author

A student of creative writing in her youth, Jerrie set aside her passion when life presented her with a John Wayne husband, and two wonderful children. A career in logistics offered her the opportunity to travel to many beautiful locations in America, and she revisits them in her romantic suspense novels. But the characters went with her, talked to her, and insisted she share their dark, sexy stories with others. She writes alpha males and kick-ass women who weave their way through death and fear to emerge stronger because of, and on occasion in spite of, their love for each other. She likes to torture people, make them suffer, and if they’re strong enough, they live happily ever after. Author of The Green-eyed Doll, The Last Execution, Someone to Watch Over Me, Hell or High Water, Cold Day in Hell, and her newest release, No Chance in Hell. Jerrie lives in Texas, loves sunshine, children’s laughter, sugar (human and granulated), and researching for her heroes and heroines.

Connect with Jerrie online: | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest |

Giveaway

Jerrie is giving away two prizes each to two winners:

Two ecopies of Hell or High Water accompanied by two $10.00 electronic gift cards for Amazon

Please visit my blog to comment on the original post and enter the Rafflecopter giveaway

• This giveaway is open to INT entrants. Please be sure you're able to receive eGift cards from Amazon US before entering.
  • Giveaway ends one week from today
  • Answer the Rafflecopter blog question to be eligible. Jerrie will be stopping by throughout the day to answer any of your questions.

♥ ♥ ♥

Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the author for the purpose of an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor.

Buy Links are simply informative in nature. I am in no way affiliated with mentioned book sellers, nor am I under any type of affiliate program with said book sellers. Reviewed books were purchased by me unless otherwise noted. Any type of ad that appears anywhere on my blog are NOT sponsored. I do not receive monetary compensation. Giveaway prizes are provided by the author or publisher unless otherwise noted.

Find MsRomanticReads online

TWITTER | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | PINTEREST

Source: http://msromanticreads.wordpress.com/2014/04/23/new-release-review-no-chance-in-hell-lost-and-found-inc-3-by-jerrie-alexander-excerpt-giveaway