MsRomanticReads

ARC Review: Make Me by Alyssa Turner

Make Me - Alyssa Turner

Synopsis:

Willpower is overrated.

Manhattan’s most eligible bachelor, Kyle Hunter, is a Marine Corps vet, the son of a US Senator and the prodigal heir of American corporate royalty. He’s rich, smart and a notorious flirt. Kyle Hunter is also in love with his best friend. So why did he tell Manny they could never see each other again?

Manny Tescadero isn’t about to be hurt twice. He’s lost a lot and if there’s one thing he learned in Afghanistan, it’s to defend yourself and those who need you at all costs. When Rebecca Sinclair lands on his doorstep, his honor won’t let him turn her away. His heart won’t let him pretend there isn’t more to it than a soldier’s code. But new love interests aren’t part of the mission plan; not when he’s still in love with someone else.

Rebecca Sinclair has never been good at letting loose. As a librarian she has her dream job and a new start with an amazing apartment in the city that never sleeps. She thought she was happy until everything she’s worked for is gone in a flash. Turns out having it all may just mean something else entirely.

There are a mountain of reasons why they shouldn’t be together and not one stands a chance of keeping them apart.

Rating: 3-3.5

I have come to really enjoy Alyssa Turner's menage stories and the way her characters go through the experience of voicing their needs and desires to a loved one, dealing with insecurities that arise and any other obstacle one can think of. In a Turner book, this usually means broaching the subject of finding that special third person to complete an already established couple. Make no mistake, these stories aren't about a couple who want to add some kink to their love life of inviting a third person into their bed. At the end of the day, it's about three people headed for a committed relationship including all the insecurities, hopes and difficulties along the way to a HEA.

With that said, I've read two such stories by this author and loved them. I really wanted to love this one just as much, but it just didn't have the same emotional impact on me. I liked the dynamics and the connection between Manny, Kyle and Rebecca, but it kept going on and off for me like a switch. I thought Manny and Kyle were great together, but perhaps it was because they already had a long history before Rebecca showed up. There was nothing really to dislike about Rebecca. She was sweet, sassy and open-minded, but I just didn't care one way or another about her. Even as I say that, she was a good fit for both of the men. Each of them underwent a good character development in learning to accept and embrace their wants and needs, and steadily working their way to a relationship. I particularly liked the moments of insecurity from Manny and Rebecca. I found it realistic for them to question their roles and the rules.

As far as the plot went, I felt a few things were a little predictable. A senator for a mother and Kyle, the hero son, in a three-way relationship with a man and a woman was bound to be a major source of conflict and drama, and it was. Some of the sex scenes were better than others, but overall you should think of having a bucket of ice water on stand-by.

I realize this review may sound as if I disliked more than I liked, but that is not the case. Make Me just didn't turn me inside out like the other stories by this author did. However, I think this would be an excellent choice if you're new to her writing and curious about reading a menage story where the outcome is a committed relationship between three people. Either way, this author is one of my favorites when I'm in the mood to step out of my comfort zone for a bit. If you're daring enough and ready to jump in the deep end, definitely pick up either By Surprise or Polished. They are standalones and have a HEA.

FD: Complimentary copy from the author for the purpose of an honest review.

Source: http://msromanticreads.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/release-day-event-make-me-by-alyssa-turner-review-excerpt-giveaway