MsRomanticReads

Currently Reviewing

Tease Me
Club Wonderland

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books ยป

Review: Doms of Dark Haven (Anthology) by Cherise Sinclair, Sierra Cartwright, Belinda McBride

DDH 1

Doms of Dark Haven (Anthology)

by Cherise Sinclair, Sierra Cartwright, Belinda McBride

Source: Self-Purchase

| Amazon | ARe | B&N | iBookstore |

Synopsis

Met Her Match (A Hawkeye Story) by Sierra Cartwright

Highly trained Mira Araceli can hold her own in the toughest parts of the world, but not, it seems, against her secret crush, Torin Carter. She’d fallen for her Hawkeye instructor years before, and to him, she’d been just another recruit; fresh, green, idealistic.

Torin, with his dark Irish good looks and fierce temper, doesn’t want a partner, any partner, and especially not Mira. But assignments are assignments, and he takes his responsibilities seriously. So when the beautifully submissive Mira crawls into his bedroom, a leather belt between her teeth, he calls on all his resolve to send her away.

Unsatisfied, Mira ups the stakes and finds another dom to play with at Dark Haven. Beyond furious, Torin storms into Master Xavier’s club and claims his rights to dominate Mira. For the first time in her life, she’s met her match.

Educating Evangeline by Belinda McBride

This isn’t what she came here for!

Pursued by a group of mysterious hunters, Evangeline Jones was desperate for sanctuary when she ducked into the doorway of Dark Haven. Instead of safety, she discovers a decadent, sensual world that challenges her very outlook on life.

Harte Sommers is charmed by the little wolf with the pink streak in her ebony hair. As alpha of the Napa pack, he sometimes feels that he’s alone at the top. When he meets Eva, he knows he might not be able to keep his wild little wolf at his side, but his heart tells him that his lonely days might be at an end.

Simon Says: Mine by Cherise Sinclair

With an empty nest and divorce in hand, Rona decides it’s time to explore the fantasies that nourished her through a long, tedious marriage to a man whose idea of outrageous sex was leaving the lights on. At the top of her fantasy list is touring Dark Haven, the BDSM club, but she isn’t prepared for the effect of a powerful Dom. When Master Simon takes control and introduces her to toys and sensations she’s never felt before, she realizes he could fulfil every fantasy on her list all by himself. But she’s vowed to never get trapped in a relationship again.

One of the most popular Doms in Dark Haven, Master Simon has had his fill of eager, shallow, young subs. Rona is older, intelligent, independent...and sweetly submissive. After an evening of intense pleasure and despite her obvious attraction, she refuses to see him again. He needs a way to change her mind. She’s not the first sub he’s taken on a journey of exploration, but he’s beginning to think she might be the last.

Note: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: Anal play/intercourse, strong BDSM theme and elements to include exhibitionism and voyeurism.

goodreads-badge-add-plus

My Review

Met Her Match (A Hawkeye Story) by Sierra Cartwright

Contemporary, Suspense

I'm not familiar with the Hawkeye series, but this novella didn't leave me with any unanswered questions, nor did I feel lost with the characters or their purpose. Hawkeye Inc. provides personal security for the rich and famous. The members are highly trained operatives who live hard and, apparently, play hard.

On the surface, Mira was a tough heroine who could easily keep up with her male counterparts within her job. As mentioned in the blurb, her long-time, unrequited crush on Torin finally came to a head with an unsuccessful attempt to seduce him. Whether she meant to make him jealous or simply decided to move on wasn't clear, but her stunt had the desired effect. I really liked this pairing with Torin's base-male reactions towards her, and his struggle to adhere to his hands-off policy giving way to taking complete control.This story wasn't just about scorching hot BDSM scenes though. After they'd crossed the line from being colleagues to lovers, the question inevitably arose as to how it would affect their dangerous jobs. It took a mission at the end of the story to push them to acknowledge that mind-blowing sex and spankings weren't enough to sustain their budding relationship. The brief heartache, their reflection and the outcome showed maturity and was a very satisfying ending.

Rating: 4.5/5

Educating Evangeline by Belinda McBride

PNR, Suspense, Shifters

Another author I wasn't familiar with prior to reading this, but it wasn't difficult to follow. In comparison to the first story, I think it would have helped to have read the first book in the series just to keep the packs and the dynamics straight. Nonetheless, this was still enjoyable. A quick stage setting is this: Abraxas , a medical research company, had been running experiments and torturing shifters and others in order to bioengineer soldiers with paranormal skills. Some of them escaped and took up the fight to rescue others and eliminate those responsible for their heinous acts.

Evangeline was a tough heroine and an alpha female. As a lone wolf, she was used to fending for herself, but she lacked certain skills that only came from being a part of a pack and having an alpha male leader. I liked the courage it took for her to accept Harte's protection and submit to him. Aside from the scorching hot sex scenes, she had a chance to assert her dominant side at the side of her mate. I do love s troy when the heroine gets to jump into the fray and kick some butt.

Rating: 4/5

Simon Says: Mine by Cherise Sinclair

Contemporary, older characters (late 30s, early 40s)

I love stories with characters in their 30s/40s since that is my age bracket. Sadly it is such a rarity to come across this age group in books. This was a fantastic story of a second chance at love. Rona and Simon made such a wonderful couple. I really enjoyed Rona's commitment to sticking to her list of goals for her life post divorce. Her honesty about her behavior was both endearing and amusing. Simon was simply sinful. I loved his maturity, not just his age, but there was simply no hesitation on his part about wanting a long-term relationship. His dominance and his charm were quite heady and consistent from start to finish. And just like three years ago, the ending still got me.

Rating: 5/5

Overall, I loved the idea of this anthology and having two authors bring in their own unique characters to play in Cherise Sinclair's world. I rolled my eyes at myself a few times when characters from each story noticed a scene that was mentioned in one of the other three. I don't know why, but those moments just made me giggly. I think any fan of BDSM romances, especially the kinkier, rougher type would enjoy these. Out of the three, I'd read more from Sierra Cartwright and Cherise Sinclair.

5_MRR_Rating

Note: I originally read this anthology in December 2011. I re-read it on July 1st, 2014 and decided to post my review for the first two stories. You can see my original review of Simon Says: Mine here.

♥ ♥ ♥

Disclaimer: Self-purchased book. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor. Buy Links are simply informative in nature. I am in no way affiliated with mentioned book sellers, nor am I under any type of affiliate program with said book sellers. Reviewed books were purchased by me unless otherwise noted. Any type of ad that appears anywhere on my blog are NOT sponsored. I do not receive monetary compensation. Giveaway prizes are provided by the author or publisher unless otherwise noted.

Find MsRomanticReads online