MsRomanticReads

Currently Reviewing

Tease Me
Club Wonderland

Michelle (MsRomanticReads)'s favorite books »

Interview w/ Alexandra Martin – A succubus, a satyr and a siren walk into a bar … + Mini Review

Siren's Call - Alexandra Martin

Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
Imprint: Exotika®
Format: eBook
Length: 8,000 Words/25 Pages
Source: Complimentary review copy from author

| Amazon US | Amazon UKGoogle PlayKobo | Ellora’s Cave |

Synopsis

Liz is having a crappy day. First she loses her job. Then she spots a flyer for a punk show that is covered in fae glamour. And the entire reason she moved to the humdrum ’burbs was to avoid all the supernatural crap she’s been seeing since she was a kid.

It stands to reason she should avoid the show, but curiosity wins out. And her senses didn’t fail her. A punk band consisting of a succubus, a satyr and a siren can only spell one thing—trouble.

When Liz lets it slip that she’s no average human, the siren takes a keen interest in her. Even without his otherworldly abilities, those skillful bass-playing fingers and the interest in those gorgeous blue eyes are enough to reel Liz in. Combine that with the promise in his wicked smile and Liz just may be on the way to turn her rotten day around.

goodreads-badge-add-plus

Hi Alexandra, welcome to MsRomanticReads! The blurb definitely caught my attention *lol* Can you make a joke out of “a succubus, a satyr and a siren walk into a bar …”? :D

A succubus, a satyr and a siren walk into a bar and order their drinks. After a Red-Headed Slut, a Slippery Nipple and a Screaming O, not only are their appetites quenched, but the staff’s fully satisfied too!

From what I read, alcohol wasn’t necessary to …um … satisfy the patrons or the staff. Ahem. Can you tell us a little bit about the band members? They sound mysterious ;)

The men of the Underwater Machine are definitely shrouded in mystery. I actually kept them nameless in the story for a reason, because Liz is the type of gal who doesn’t want to know about more fae—she’s spent her life trying to avoid their kind. The singer’s a fae she hasn’t heard of, but based on the wicked curve of his teeth, he projects all sorts of bad news. The succubus is definitely the most normal looking of the guys, but he’s slick and uncanny valley-ish, more haughty than anything. The satyr is the lewd party boy that you’d expect. The siren was my favorite though, with a sort of sharp, quiet humor to him.

I have to agree with you and Liz on that one *grins* What made you decide on not one. but three mythical creatures known for their skills in all things seduction and sexuality?

It actually just felt logical. If you were a mythical creature who fed off of sexual mojo, why not form a band and capitalize on the crowds? I liked the concept of those fae working together towards the common goal of feeding their appetites.

Is writing a scorching hot sex scene as much fun to write about as it is to read?

It’s fun to imagine, for sure! But on the other hand, I find figuring out the logistics of it really entertaining. You have to go beyond just daydreaming and actually choreograph it—otherwise you’ve got floating appendages and pants coming off twice.

Haha! Point taken. If you had to choose just one scene from Siren’s Call, which one would be your favorite and why?

My favorite scene is definitely the second that Underwater Machine begins to play and how the entire place changes—how the energy of the crowd completely morphs. It was a really fun integration of paranormal, sexuality and the concert scene.

See, that was a hot scene, but I really enjoyed the Liz and Viola scene *laughs* For anyone reading this, it’s NOT what you think! What are you currently working on?

A steampunk erotica involving a bounty hunter called the Brass Violet and her rival, the Fox. He’s anything but a gentleman and knows how to push all her buttons, but somehow she finds herself drawn to him regardless.

When you aren’t in your writing cave typing up these hot stories, what do you do to unwind? And you can’t say “read a book”.

I have a cavalcade of hobbies as backup to get out of my head for a little while. I’ve blended tea, roasted coffee, brewed beer and made soap. However, if I need to completely unwind, sometimes I dig jamming out with a video game.

Gamer girl here too! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, Alexandra. This was a fun story to interview you on. We should do this again :)

Excerpt

Chapter One

The leaves crunched under my feet as I stormed down the street. I clutched my messenger bag a little tighter and lined up by the telephone pole, my shoulders trembling like the brittle tree branches as the gusts of wind blew through.

Two years, but I never complained, even though the pay was crap and the customers were jerks. Fired and all because of Dave. Smug bastard screwed over anyone who wouldn’t screw him. The balding little creep had hounded me ever since Billy and I split up a couple of months ago. Good riddance to both of them.

I rubbed my bare arms as another gust blew through. The town lights were twinkling and stores began to flick their neons on. Where was this bus?

A paper fluttered on the telephone pole, one of those hastily scribbled adverts with a serial-killer scrawl.

A punk show in Jefferson City? Now that was a rarity. These people were either the worst marketers ever or looking to raise hell. I tugged the flyer loose and scanned it. Tonight only, the band Babykiller would be opening for the main act, Underwater Machine. I lifted the paper, ready to crumple it up, but stopped.

The subtle glow that ringed the paper and the exotic perfume wafting off it sent my supernatural radar into overdrive. The flyer was saturated with a fae glamour meant to reel any average humans in the second they spotted it.

Unfortunately for them, I was the weird rarity.

Magic, glamour—none of that stuff affected me. I’d been seeing weird shit my entire life—fae, satyrs, centaurs, nymphs—everything that walked around disguised as humans. For some reason their voodoo never worked on me.

Not the best ability when the rest of the world thought you were insane. After my first ten encounters with therapists trying to talk me through delusions and my “cries for attention,” I gave up and bounced from city to city until I moved all the way out here. Biggest perk of living in the middle of nowhere? Less chance of bumping into any of those supernatural weirdos, which meant I could live a semi-normal life.

My Review

Siren’s Call was a quick and easy read with equal parts humor and heat. Liz was a sassy, spunky heroine with a low tolerance for anything supernatural. Therefore, for her to find herself attending a punk rock concert in the boring, sleepy town of her choice, was rather amusing. The effect the band had on the crowd around her was hot, but I found myself giggling like a loon at the effect it had on her friend, Viola. Liz’s annoyance, sexual frustration, alcohol consumption and run-in with the siren just made me like her more. He didn’t flaunt his sexual mojo, he carried on a flirtatious conversation with her as if it wasn’t out of the norm.

The purposeful absence of names for the guys was clever. It silently underscored her attempt to keep the supernatural out of her life. The sex was pretty hot, but it felt like a tease, or a taste of more to come. In other words, please give me more kinky fuckery :)

The ending was a HFN, perhaps with the possibility of a follow up in the future. I’d be interested to know if she eventually managed to embrace the other world. The characters and the author’s voice made this very enjoyable. I would read more sexy stories from Ms. Martin.

Disclaimer: Complimentary copy provided by the author for the purpose of an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor.

Buy Links are simply informative in nature. I am in no way affiliated with mentioned book sellers, nor am I under any type of affiliate program with said book sellers. Reviewed books were purchased by me unless otherwise noted. Giveaway prizes are provided by the author or publisher unless otherwise noted.

Find MsRomanticReads online

TWITTER | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | PINTEREST

Source: http://msromanticreads.com/2014/08/interview-w-alexandra-martin-a-succubus-a-satyr-and-a-siren-walk-into-a-bar-mini-review