MsRomanticReads

Length: 38,000 Words/109 Pages
Source: ARC via author

Pre-Order: | Amazon | B&N | Kobo |

Synopsis

Special Forces medic Rey Cruz needs to find a fiancée, fast, or he’ll end up in a marriage orchestrated by an Afghan warlord. Finding a picture online of a girl he barely knew back home, he fakes an engagement photo, thinking no one else will see it. But when Rey loses both legs and the ability to speak while rescuing a local boy, the image goes viral.

Seattle marine biologist Grace Kim is shocked to find out she’s engaged. When she’s offered a plane ticket to visit her “fiancé,” she takes it, looking for the answer to one question: Why did he lie? Touched by Rey’s funny texts and the determination she sees in him, Grace offers her friendship—a big step for someone who prefers whales to most company.

And when Rey is finally sent home, Grace agrees to help him drive his classic car cross-country over Thanksgiving—a once-in-a-lifetime road trip that leads to what feels like real love. In front of his friends and family, she plays the caring fiancée, but what place will Grace have in Rey’s new life once he’s ready to be on his own again?

Goodreads |

His Road Home was a wonderful love story between two people who seemingly have nothing in common and are neither ones type for a romantic entanglement. The little white lie – a one-sided engagement of convenience – was a different approach to a familiar trope. I was also more than pleasantly surprised that the author wrote about an interracial couple, specifically a heroine of Asian descent.

Grace and Rey made such an adorable couple. I really enjoyed the beginning starting off with their awkward introduction. For a double amputee, Rey was as upbeat as he could be given the circumstances. He didn’t seem to suffer from depression or anxiety, nor did he question his manhood as I might have expected. What was really unexpected, however, was his The main obstacle that would either bring them closer or drive them apart was his inability to express himself both verbally and written.

While Rey healed, Grace was deployed on a research vessel. For around seven months, their entire communication rested on nightly text messages. We caught glimpses of such moments of connectivity for weeks at a time. By the time they saw one another again, I fully believed they had a very good understanding about one another, and the friendship they had developed was ready to be taken to the next level. A cross-country road trip to help him move back home was the perfect setting for them to get closer, and they did.

Throughout this story, Rey was limited to only a few words at a time which meant he didn’t have much dialogue but told us his thoughts and feelings from his POV. For some, that could make this book difficult to read, but I thought it was beautiful, and handled very well. I was engaged the whole way through. Grace learned quickly how to interpret what he was trying to say, and I felt the deepening of their connection with every page. I liked how Rey took his disability in stride and used his time to think ahead about his new future, and wanting to become an independent man and not be a burden on Grace. Not once did she ever make him feel less than, and I admired that about her. Despite her great character traits, I found her a little dry. Probably a by-product of her upbringing and her profession.

There were only nine chapters in this book, but it seemed so much longer to me. The author managed to pack in a lot of content, great character development, a few bumps and the awkwardness of them trying to figure out how to move past scorching kisses. The sex was hot but kept to a minimum. The love scenes came gradually with the trust and weren’t thrown in anywhere in the story to fill a gap.

The Bottom Line

A romantic, angst-free and uplifting story about two people who met under awkward circumstances, became friends and fell in love. There was no time for misunderstandings or emotional subterfuge when every conversation was a struggle and a hurdle they managed to overcome. Take this journey with them to their HEA and decide for yourself.

Hook Lines

They were driving back to the life of the old Cruz. With a stab in his gut, he wondered if that Cruz would have paid attention to a quiet woman like Grace.

If he hadn’t, he was an idiot who deserved to be left in a canal.

She opened and closed her mouth, chest heaving, but with no idea what to say or do. She was naked, he was dressed, and they’d screwed themselves speechless on a wood veneer built-in.

I’m a high speed medic.” He complied with her unspoken orders by wetting his fingers in his mouth and then, after she lowered her chin to watch, he tweaked her nipple to a glistening point. “Know plenty about bodies.”

She arched into his fingers. “I refuse to believe my tax dollars trained you in this.”

Better believe it, babe.”

So if his legs weren’t the problem, and the sex was crazier than full-moon monkeys, why wasn’t she hinting for the L-word?

Disclaimer: Complimentary copy provided by author/publisher for the purpose of an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor.

Buy Links are simply informative in nature. I am in no way affiliated with mentioned book sellers, nor am I under any type of affiliate program with said book sellers. Reviewed books were purchased by me unless otherwise noted. Giveaway prizes are provided by the author or publisher unless otherwise noted.

Source: http://msromanticreads.com/2014/08/early-review-his-road-home-by-anna-richland